History of Perm city
History of the name “Perm” has its deep roots. If to take into account that the first crusades of Russian people to Ural were to the north of the Kama basin, population of Vychegodskiy basin, ancestors of Komi-Zyrian, most likely were called in such a way. Later on that territory was called Perm Staraya and Perm Vychegodskaya in the Russian chronicles. Novgorodians-Ushkuiniks came exactly here to collate tribute, to trade. Some long-term residents have mentioned that the name can also derive from the name of Per-bogatyr, the hero of local legends.
Further on history of Perm refers to the middle of the 17th century when the small settlement has existed. Local voivode Procopiy Yelizarov writes about it. At that time the settlement had two-three yards but it was located on the banks of the river Kama and the river Yegoshikha and that circumstance played the key role in appearing of the city.
Later on history of Perm is connected with the beginning of the Northern War with Sweden when the Russian state needed new plants very much. Vasiliy Nikitich Tatishev, the hero of Poltava battle was sent here by the commission from Berg-collegium to search for places for new plants. He liked the settlement at the river Yegoshikha and the river Kama and the copper melting plant that became the centre of the future city, was built here in 1723.
The city-plant became significantly larger and it consisted of 400 yards with the stone church by the 70-ies of the 18th century. It became the prerequisite to announce it to be the governorate city on the 16th of November 1780.
Perm became the administrative centre of Perm region in RSFSR in 1938.
Perm became important transportation point at the beginning of the 19th century. Salt was the most popular Perm product, it was extracted in Perm Governorate, in Usolye and Solikamsk. Iron, copper, metallic goods of Ural plants that were sent to the cities of Central Russia were put across the river Chusovaya.
Regular navigation on the river Kama was open in 1846 that revived economic life of the city.
Englisher Gullet built mechanical plant where river tugs were made in 1858 in delta of the river Daniliha.
Ural railroad that was across Perm was built in 1878.
Motovilihinskiy cannon plant that later became one of the biggest metal-processing organisations of Ural began to work in the city in 1863.
Perm czar-hammer was made in 1875. The highest award was given to the project of gigantic 50-ton hammer, worked out by the metallurgist and mechanic N.V. Vorontsov (1833-1893) at the World-wide industrial exhibition in Vienna in 1873.
A lot of large industrial organisations were evacuated to Perm from the European part of USSR during the years of the Great Patriotic War.
Construction of Kamskaya hydroelectric station finished in 1955.
Phase 1 of Perm oil-processing plant (currently ООО “Lukoil - Permnefteorgsintez”) was put in operation in 1958.
Construction of Communal bridge - automobile-pedestrian bridge across Kama, connecting centre of the city with the right bank part, was finished in 1967.
On the 22nd of January 1971 Perm city was awarded with the Order of Lenin for successful fulfilment of five-year plan on development of industrial production.
In 2005 Perm city became the administrative centre (capital) of Perm kray, generated as a result of uniting Perm region and the Komi-Permyatski Autonomous District.